Welcome to our blog!

We write reflections about our explorations in the arts, creativity, prayer, retreats, and spirituality.

We would love to be in dialog with you. Share your thoughts on these topics or respond to what we have written.


We are also available to lead arts & spirituality workshops and retreats. Visit our website for more details: www.DrawingNearer.com
Blessings, Suzanne & Wanda

Moment by Moment

Moment by Moment
Spiral Mandala, oringinal artwork by Suzanne Halstead

Sunday, December 6, 2009

Childhood Prayers


Do you remember any of the prayers you were taught as a child? Perhaps you were taught a bedtime blessing like I was:

Now I lay me down to sleep.
I pray the Lord my soul to keep.
Angels watch me through the night
and wake me with the morning light.

The grace for meals that is still with me is:

God is great. God is good.
Let us be thankful for our food.
By God’s hand we all are fed.
Give us, Lord, our daily bread.

There are lots of versions out there and I’d love to hear yours if you were taught one. These are great when introducing a young person to pray, but, at least with me, they soon became rote. Deep inside I yearned for a deeper prayer life, a rich awareness and relationship with this God I addressed so casually every day. Who was “He?” Can He hear me? Can I recognize His voice and not confuse it with my own?

Have you ever asked yourself these questions? Those and others invited me to go deeper, to explore prayer forms and spiritual exercises to experience more of this God who felt so distant. What desires or questions invite you to go deeper, draw nearer to Creator?

Let’s get the conversation started. I look forward to journeying with you in this spiritual quest!

W

1 comment:

  1. Now I lay me down to sleep.
    I pray the Lord my soul to keep.
    And watch me safe throughout the night
    and wake me with the morning light.

    That was my similar version I used to say with my children when they were little. Suzanne

    ReplyDelete